Sports betting requires a lot of insight, research, and skill if you wish to win big. You can speak to more established bettors and ask for advice, research the teams or players involved and take a look at the odds associated with each bet.
To help you get started, we have a few strategies to help you figure things out – call them best bets if you will.
6 Of The Best Sports Bets
- Focus on the Moneyline: This form of betting is perfect for newbies and beginner as it only requires you to choose a winner. When placing your bet, you’ll see the favourite, indicated by a minus sign, and the underdog, indicated by a plus sign. All you need to do is pick the team that you think will win and if they do win, then so do you. This option is less risky.
- Understand the point spread: This bet involves a bit more than simply picking a winner; you need to choose a winner and the points difference that will exist. This means that the favourite will need to win by a certain number of points while the underdog will need to either win or not lose by more than a certain number of points. For example, Team A -5.5 (-110) vs Team B +5.5 (-110) would mean that Team A are the favourites to win and will need to do so by more than 5 points. Team B will need to win or not lose by more than 5 points. So, if Team A won 21-18, they didn’t cover the 5.5 points, but Team B did as they stayed within the 5.5 margin.
- Place a runline bet: This bet is a combination of the point spread and money line and offers a better return. This form of betting is mostly used for betting on baseball. A runline bet has a 1.5 point spread associated with the game, which means that the favourite needs to win by more than two points and the underdog will need to either lose by one point or win the game.
- Try fading the public or betting against: This bet is often used for football and basketball. Sportsbooks generally know which teams are going to be most bet on each week and adjust the spreads and totals to get more action. This provides the opportunity to bet on the underdog and potentially win big.
- Bet on possible occurrences: In the world of sport, a lot can happen in the season, players can be injured, coaches replaced, and winning streaks lost. Whatever the case may be, you can bet on whether or not it will happen. Do your research to help determine what is likely to happen in the season and place your bet.
- Focus on one sport: This is important, especially in the beginning. You don’t want to spread yourself thin or be overwhelmed by the process. Choose a sport that you’re familiar with as this will help you get an edge. Stay on top of the latest news and games to ensure that you know what’s going on and can place well-informed bets.
Don’t Overcomplicate Things
When you start betting, try to keep things as simple as possible to help you get the hang of it. Once you’ve got a better understanding of how everything works you can take on more and try different strategies.